Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A little lesson on death

Sunday was a sad day. When we ge got home sunday afternoon after being gone for a few hours, we walked in the house to find our 3 baby kittens (whose eyes had just opened 2 days before)dead on the living room floor =(.....................(refer to previous blog for an explanation of the kittens.)

Kenta had me stay outside with the kids while he put the kittens in a shoe box, so they did not have to see them like that. I could not help but cry. I don't think noah has ever seen me cry before so he was quite concerned. I tried to explain to him what had happened in words he would understand. Our dog Rusty had played to hard with the baby kittens.

I was so angry at Rusty! I know he didn't try to hurt hem, he was just trying to play with them like toys. He just loved them to death =(


Noah was so sweet and gave me a hug and told me he was sorry. He did not understand what was going on. I decided that I should show him the babies so he did not keep wondering where they were. He thought they were just sleeping. I had to keep explaining over and over that they were in heaven now and they were not coming back. He just was like okay, and was just fine with it. We took the boys outside and burried the kittens and planted a flower over their grave.

When Kenta was digging the hole for the kittens he dug up a rock. I thought the kids would enjoy painting the rock for the kittens. So the next day I cleaned it off and let the kids go at it. When they were done I wrote the kittens names on the rock that Noah had chosen for them and we placed it over their grave.


Noah has asked a few times if the babies were all better yet. I think he is getting used to the fact that they are not coming back and he is starting to act a little sad.=(

Well on a different note. After we were done painting I was doing something n the other room. I noticed after a few minutes it was to quiet, so I walked into the kitchen and found Eli into the paints that I had left on the floor. He was painting my kitchen floor! My fault for leaving him alone for 3 minutes!


Now does anybody want to adopt my dog, I can't help but still be angry with him . I feel so sad for my momma cat =(




When this was all said and done my parents took us all out for ice cream to cheer us up =)

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh, you poor girl. That is so sad. I would have cried to. I recently had to explain to Malachi what death really was (after they put something into Eli's mouth and he started choking)I told them that he'd be gone forever and ever, and he could never play with him or hug him or kiss him ever again. I wanted to get the point across about how dangerous it was for him to feed Eli, because I tell him EVERYDAY only Mommy and daddy are allowed to feed Eli.

He got it though and balled his eyes out. I'm not sure it was the best approach, if it was a situation like yours it wouldn't have been, but sometimes you have to do what you think is best, even when it's hard and ugly.

I like the way you memorialized the kittens with your boys. I think that that is something that will always stay with them. Good Job, mama!!

Rebecca McQuivey said...

That is so sad!!! You don't really want to get rid of rusty though, do you? The kids love Rusty! You love Rusty! He is apart of your family.

I love the rock memorial though. Very theriputic I am sure. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. (other then adopt a pet, Rust loves you all to much)

Karson and Kami said...

Aww, sad! Very good idea to have the boys paint the rock...it's so cute! You always do the best activities with them! You're such a WONDERFUL mommy! You know Rusty didn't know any better and wasn't trying to hurt them. But I do understand why you are still upset about it.

Harada's said...

Of course I am not getting rid of Rusty. In the moment I wanted to. He really is a good dog and we love him.(most of the time)

Kirsten said...

I am so sorry. What a hard experience to have to go through. And you guys handled it so well with your children. I think the memorial rock idea was perfect. That isn't an easy conversation to have with kids but it sounds like you guys really did a good job. I am sorry again...